Contact Us:

Morrill Hall of Agriculture
446 W. Circle Dr. Room 310
East Lansing, MI 48824
(517) 432-1555


CAFOs must apply for discharge permit
By Natalie Rector
Large concentrated animal feeding operations need to apply for the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permit by July 1. Read entire article from Michigan Farmer.

Time to Comply
By Natalie Rector
Some laws exist to protect our rights. Others feel they only restrict us. Regardless of your viewpoint, laws continue to be a part of our laws. Read entire article


The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) is the delegated authority for the National Pollution Discharge Elimination Permit System (NPDES). Click here to visit the official web site for Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs). The information provided below is from MSU and for educational purposes and to assist producers as they comply with the CAFO issues.

If your farm falls under the requirements of the NPDES General Permit, the following information will assist you in submitting the necessary documents:

1) A Comprehensive Nutrient Management Plan (CNMP). Following are two example CNMPs to be used as guidelines for providing information required under the General Permit MIGO19000 Example Dairy CNMP, Example Swine CNMP

2) Nutrient Management Plan should accompany the CNMP.  This document can be printed and submitted as is when filing under the General Permit MIGO19000.  Individual farms that are working with MDEQ will need to develop their own Nutrient Management Plan.

3) Annual Report Form - Click here to download a blank report form. Sample Dairy Annual Report 

4) Click here for additional forms that do not need to be submitted with the Annual Report, but should be kept on file at the farm.